Posted on April 20 2019
It's not enough to just like wearing baseball caps. You have to wear them correctly. The baseball style cap has become the staple of sportswear and can even put a stylish spin on your outfit.
The Age-Old Question…
Menswear has included any number of accessories, possibly one of the most tried-and-true being the baseball style cap. But the question that has plagued men's fashions for decades is this: Does throwing on a baseball cap elevate or degrade your look? Is a baseball cap all that is contemporary and stylish? Or does this just take you one step closer to too casual and too immature? That may seem a bit harsh, but the attraction of a baseball cap can lie in the eye of the beholder, in many cases.
To avoid controversy, wear your baseball cap correctly, depending on the look you're going for.
How to Wear a Baseball Cap
There are basically five ways to don your baseball cap, so let's look at them individually:
- The transitional topper – when you're between seasons (the frigid cold and the scorching heat), choosing the right headwear can be difficult. Baseball caps are perfect. Couple a twill or wool cap (depending on the weather) with the best transitional jacket from your closet and climate-appropriate layers underneath.
- Straight off the streets – this is where streetwear and high-fashion meet. Pair a dad hat or five panel cap with jeans or cropped trousers and a logo T-shirt or hoodie.
- Tonal tailoring – yes, in this day and age, it's okay to wear the right cap with a suit. To pull off this contemporary look, couple a premium looking, plain cap with a crisp pair of sneakers, nice T-shirt, and unstructured blazer.
- Summer ready – summer simply isn't complete without sunscreen, ant filled picnics, warm beer, and a baseball cap. Kick up your T-shirt and shorts look while still protecting your eyes from the sun with the right cap. If you wear it during the day, make sure that it ties in with your nighttime outfit as well.
- Luxe minimalism – considered somewhat luxurious, this cap is minimal, clean, and understated. Material options usually consist of corduroy, wool, or suede – something tactile. Pair it with slim-fit chinos, a light weight jacket, and other classic wardrobe staples.
The Type And Style Matter
As important as how you wear your baseball cap can be, the type of cap you go with could matter just as much. When it comes to baseball caps, there are six basic styles.
Again, it all depends on the look you're going for. That will determine which baseball cap you wear.
For the Mature Cap Wearer
If you don't want to look like a teenager out there (or 50 Cent), remember these quick tips:
- Rather than showy, be simple.
- Don't wear it sideways, and seldom wear it backwards.
- Don't make your hat too tight, or too loose. A snug fit is proper.
- Get that sticker off of the brim! (Tags too!)
With baseball caps, it's not so much where or when you wear them – it's how you wear them.The selection of baseball style caps at Hat Heaven is astounding! We carry everything from all wool, to cotton, to mesh. We have snapback, dad hats, and much more. Check out our professional sport logos or college team hats today.