Posted on February 04 2020
Founded in 1860, Louisiana State University is currently situated in Louisiana's Baton Rouge. Officially titled Louisiana State University and Agricultural and Mechanical College, it is frequently referred to as simply LSU. Originally, it was called Louisiana State Seminary of Learning and Military Academy, when founded in Pineville.
Constructed in the Italian Renaissance style, the main campus consists of more than 250 buildings occupying 650 acres along the Mississippi River banks. Louisiana State University is not only the most comprehensive of all Louisiana universities, it is the Louisiana State University System’s flagship institution as well as the state of Louisiana's flagship school.
Let's take a closer look at LSU – Louisiana State University.
Receiving national recognition in respective fields of study, the Paul M. Herbert Law Center and the E.J. Ourso College of Business are just a couple of LSU's graduate schools. LSU, in 2017 alone, enrolled more than 5,000 graduate students in 14 colleges and schools, and over 25,000 undergraduates.
Claim to Fame
As well as being known for its extensive research facilities, LSU is noted for operating approximately 800 sponsored research projects. Agencies such as the following fund these projects:
- National Aeronautics and Space Administration
- National Endowment for the Humanities
- National Science Foundation
- National Institutes of Health
Among eight United States universities to offer the same programs, LSU offers Master of Business Administration, medical, veterinary, law, and dental programs. They are the only Louisiana university to offer veterinary medicine, and one of merely 30 in the country.
With 12 women's and nine men's varsity sports, the athletic department field teams total 21. They are a member of the Southeastern Conference (SEC) and the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA). Mike the Tiger is the mascot representing LSU.
Also known as the Fighting Tigers, the LSU Tigers’ football program represents the sport of American football for Louisiana State University. They compete in the SEC and the FBS (Football Bowl Subdivision) of the NCAA.
The Tigers are coached by Ed Orgeron. Fittingly, Tiger Stadium is their home.
The LSU Tigers have accomplished the following:
- 35 consensus All Americans
- 16 conference championships
- 4 national championships
- Rank 16th most victories in FBS/NCAA division history
- 1 Heisman Trophy winner – Billy Cannon
The second most of any college program, LSU supplied 40 players for the NFL in the beginning of 2018. (320 players since 1936 league drafts began)
Tigers’ Best Players
With so many contributions to the NFL, who are considered to be LSU's best all-time football players? According to some sources, they are as follows:
- Alan Faneca – 13 seasons in the NFL, Super Bowl champion, and nine-time All-Pro selection
- A. Tittle– seven Pro Bowl in his 17-year NFL career
- Kevin Mawae – six Pro Bowl selections in his 16-year NFL career
- Tommy Casanova – six NFL seasons with four Pro Bowls
- LaRon Landry – in the NFL, he is one of the most feared defensive backs ever
- Duane Bowe – five NFL seasons with one Pro Bowl
- Michael Brooks – nine NFL seasons and LSU Hall of Famer
- Josh Reed – eight NFL seasons
- Jim Cason – eight NFL seasons and to Pro Bowl appearances
- Joseph Addai – six NFL seasons
Check out the Louisiana State University cap offered by Hat Heaven. We also carry other college team hats, NFL, NHL caps, NBA, and other caps. Whether you prefer snapbacks, fitted, dad hats, or some other style, remember, there's something for everyone at Hat Heaven.